In the first of our seasonal contributions, Sue has kindly sent us this recipe for mulled wine which apparently warms cockles and knocks sock off. How we love a festive idiom.
- A bottle of red wine, preferably quite robust, perhaps a Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot or oaked Rioja
- 150ml brandy
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Zest of 1 orange
- 100g raisins and sultanas
- 150g toasted almonds
- Soak the raisins and sultanas overnight in the wine.
- Throw all the ingredients in a pot together and warm through, without boiling, for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar if needed after tasting.
- Strain it through a cloth or sieve, then serve in a heat-resistant glass with a twist of lemon zest.
Please send more seasonal ideas, stories, poems and so forth. Thank-you